Our first order of business was getting pictures with the monster. It was just as incredible as I thought it would be.
We also got a little monster for Regan, who may look even more intimidating than the real thing.
Next, we needed to go to retrieve our tickets and pit passes. Along the way, we came across some local flavor.
As we continued to make our way, we soon found ourselves in the middle of a parking lot. If the race was in a rain delay, we could go to Babies "R" Us! Then we wondered, if that was the parking for the stores, and the hotel/casino, where were the race fans supposed to park. I still don't think we know the answer to that. Once we had our passes, we made our way to our seats, but before we could do that, Dan picked us up in a golf cart. He then took us onto the track and gave us a tour of the garage area. He even took us into David Ragan's hauler (David wasn't there). That's where I took this shot.
| This is a shot of David Ragan's backup car - above my head in the hauler. |
and show off the crazy banking.
We even got to go to Victory Lane.
and the Driver's Meting.
The best of all, though, was when we got to take two hot laps in the Pace Car!
Inside the pace car at Dover
Dan is the best!
After saying goodbye to Dan, we headed out to look for some food under the track. The problem was, there really weren't that many concession stands under the track, the bathrooms looked like they were built in World War II and you couldn't walk around inside the track from inside it (we had to leave and come in a different entrance.
| The fortress that is the stands at Dover International Speedway |
I think I froze much of the race, Jimmie wasn't able to pull off the win (he finished second), and the wrecks were minimal and contained to one car, but I still had fun. I got to meet (and ride) the Monster, after all! Oh, and we booked it after the race to get to the bus. We got on the third bus that left, and were back to our car, and headed home, in about 45 minutes. (And again, it's about a 40 minute drive without traffic.) Not bad at all! -- POSTED BY COLLEEN



No comments:
Post a Comment