Saturday, August 31, 2013

August 31, 2013

Our final day of touring in Idaho :-(
We left McCall and headed south on a scenic drive that would take us into the heart of the Boise National Forest.  We backtracked a bit over some territory we covered on Wednesday, but split off that route after about an hour and headed east toward Lowman. The roads were windy and bordered by fast-rushing creeks. Just amazing scenery. We stopped near Lowman at Pine Flatts Campground. Trails led to natural hot springs along the ice-cold Payette River. I was amazed to see rivers of hot water cascading down from the hills above the river. Imagine waterfalls of warm water! After hiking over some rocky riverside we reached a pool of hot water where we relaxed and enjoyed the hot water pouring over us from the hill above as if it was a hot shower. I saw swimmers braving the fast currents of the river as it twisted its way through the gorge we were in. I studied their routes and the currents and eventually got in the river myself a couple of times. It was so much fun to cross the river agains the currents to make it to an area where the water swirled in a circle bordered by rocks on 3 sides. We enjoyed watching two dogs retrieve sticks in the icy waters unfazed by the current. I could have stayed here forever.
After leaving the hot springs, we drove east and then south through some steep peaks and switchbacks topping mountains about 8,000 feet high. We stopped briefly in Idaho City. It once was one of the biggest cities in the pacific northwest. But the mining boom has come and gone. Many original buildings still stand and we enjoyed seeing them from the outside. The town appeared to be overrun by drunkards in the saloons, so we enjoyed an ice cream and moved on after this quick stop.
Once back in Boise, we grabbed seafood dinner and watched the first half of the big Boise State football game. I wonder what it would have been like in the city if it was a home game. There was so much hype for this away game at the University of Washington all week. We fell asleep during the game and flew home in the morning. I just looked it up and was sad to see the Broncos lost to Washington 38-6.
I miss Idaho already.
Pine Flatts Hot Springs  A+
Idaho City  C-
Boise State Football   Hype A+  Performance  D


-- POSTED BY JON

No comments:

Post a Comment