Saturday, July 19, 2008

July 19, 2008

A hot and humid summer day in New England called me the ocean - and Wallis Sands State Beach in Rye, New Hampshire. It's a stretch of sand where I spent many of my childhood days. But in all the years of going to the beach, for one reason or another, I never noticed how cold the water was here until I became an adult. I know there's global warming and all, but it hasn't seemed to do anything about the water temperature.


A quick check of the toes in the water immediately ended any thoughts I had of actually going into the ocean completely. I was able to go in until the water was just over the tops of my knees. And since it was 95 degrees out, it was very refreshing. Before I left, I noticed the lifeguard stand said the water temperature was 60 degrees. Even a little bit too cold for me. 65 seems to be my cutoff. Maybe in a few more weeks - or maybe I'll just go back to my favorite beach in Massachusetts - where the water is bearable.

If you go - park in the turnout just north of the State Park entrance. It's free - but limited to an hour - and you can walk right onto the beach. Also, beware the Canadian guys in speedos. The weakened US dollar has created an influx of barely dressed vacationers who aren't afraid to flaunt what they got. I mean, since the Canadian dollar is going further these days, you'd think our friends north of the border could spring for larger bathing suits :-)

Jon's grade: C- Sorry, I just can't deal with ice-cold water. I want to swim.

POSTED BY JON

No comments:

Post a Comment