It couldn't happen twice, could it? After last June's race ended in a deluge, Colleen and Jon figured things had to go better this year. The morning started out with the same drizzle and gray skies. But along with Brian, we set off for the race track. Despite the constant clouds, we enjoyed chasing down our favorite drivers and managed to get some good photos, including one of Michael Waltrip pondering what happened to his career, while signing and autograph and looking blankly my way...


After Colleen and Brian headed for pit road, I sought out America's favorite gopher - DIGGER! Love him, hate him, even blame him for the drop in NASCAR ratings, there was no denying his trailer was the second most popular with race fans in Loudon. Only Tony Stewart seemed to have a bigger crowd around his truck.

Sure, Digger's no bull frog, but Jeremiah was a bull frog, as I quickly found out from listening to the Three Dog Night concert at the start-finish line.
Once the race got started, things were going great, except for PRN radio talking every two minutes about how they only needed to get to lap 151 to make the race official. 151 came and went, then 200, then 250. I should have known better because once PRN started talking about how "this race might actually go the distance", the darkest clouds of the day came over turn four and it was poncho time! Sure, we didn't get as wet as last year, but we never got to see that extra mile - and yet again we had an illegitimate winner. Sorry Joey, you're not even old enough to drink and you stole the race from Tony - so pardon me if I don't cheer on your win.

Getting out of the track was easier than last year, but we got routed northbound, so getting to Cracker Barrel took a bit longer than we hoped. Dinner was great. Getting some sleep afterwards was better. Although we were wet and tired, I've got a feeling we're going to try our luck at next year's Lenox 301. I still think they owe us 3 extra miles now - Lenox 303 anyone???
NASCAR race B
Three Dog Night A-
Michael Waltrip Priceless
--POSTED BY JON
Three Dog Night A-
Michael Waltrip Priceless
--POSTED BY JON
No comments:
Post a Comment