It looked like another rainy cloudy day - which had become routine for this June of 2009 in New England. Luckily with some help from NECN's weather report, we found maybe the only sunny place in New England - by driving south to Newport, Rhode Island.

We bought a combo ticket that got us into several mansions. While they're all a bit of a blur now, here's what I remember most. The first mansion featured a long thin ball room where many movies had been filmed, a stairway shaped like a heart and an offer to host our wedding. I'm still afraid to ask how much money they would change. Judging by how the stock market's done the last few years, I bet even the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts might have a hard time paying that fee these days.
A second mansion featured an awesome audio tour with some great stories about how mean the matron of the house was and how one of the children felt trapped in the dark, dank, enormous mansion. I kind of agreed, the rooms were very dark. I think I'll build my mansion entirely out of glass windows. My apologies to the neighbors.
A third mansion featured a great lawn and random employees guarding the rooms. My favorite was the woman making sure nobody made off with an enormous table that probably weighed several hundred pounds. Ya, somebody's just gonna walk off with that...

We got some great photos out on the lawn and under the sprawling tree that looks like a great hiding spot. 



We took a quick swing by the oceanfront, grabbed dinner at the Barking Crab while watching one of the coolest dogs ever, and then enjoyed the wisdom of John Tesh. Who knew he'd end up giving society so more than the NBA on NBC theme? What an unexpected gift...
NEWPORT: B+
SUNSHINE: A+
JOHN TESH: B-
--POSTED BY JON
No comments:
Post a Comment