Dad wrote on Thursday, December 10th at 8:28:28 AM MT, to be exact, asking if he could come and visit on Saturday, December 19th-Tuesday, December 22nd.(I thought at the time this was a bit odd because *I* was flying back home on Christmas Eve and would see him then, but my Mom told me that he had been talking about wanting to see the Columbine Memorial before I left Denver next month.)
He actually was arriving in the afternoon, but I already had tickets to see Little House on the Prairie The Musical so I wasn't able to pick him up until 5:30. When I turned my cell phone back on after the show at 4:45, I had a text telling me to call when I was 10 minutes out. So I plugged in Garmin and when she said I was 10 minutes away, I called Dad. He told me he was on Delta so I told him to meet me by the Delta sign on the *arrival* level (there's also a departure level) and repeated that information before hanging up.
So imagine my displeasure when I got to the Delta sign and he was no where to be found. I was particularly irritated because I had gone over where we were going to meet and Dad of all people knows they have security people there to kick you out if you're hovering too long. I looked first to the left, and then to the right ... and then I saw JON standing there!!!
My first thought was, "What is Jon doing here?" and then I thought, "Maybe they're both here." But when Jon threw some flowers at me and then slammed the door shut, I said, "My Dad's not coming, is he," to which Jon said, "Nope."I then started lamenting the fact I had bought all my Dad's favorite foods! His Coke Zero! I filled up the gas tank! I washed the CAR (which I never do)! But of course as soon as I saw Jon standing there I knew he was there to propose so as I was griping out loud I also had a tear in my eye.
Jon told me we had to go the apartment and pack an overnight bag. When he said to make sure and pack a suit, I figured we must be going to the Indian Springs Resort -- the hot springs in Idaho Springs, CO. He didn't confirm or deny but after we had dinner in Denver and then headed up there, I knew I was right! When we pulled into the parking lot, it confirmed it.
We got there a little before 9. Jon told me he had booked us a private hot tub from 9:30-10:30 but the main pool was open until 10 and that came with our overnight stay package so we went into our rooms to change.
I was ready to go when Jon asked if he could have my car keys, saying he had forgotten something. I thought, "What could you possibly forget? All we brought are our clothes and we have those."
I then saw that I had a text from my Dad. I was writing back to that when there was a knock at the door.
When I opened it, Jon was there and he got down on one knee. He said something to the effect of, "We've known each other a long time. We've been best friends for 11 years. Will you marry me?" To which I nodded vigorously and said, "Yes." Then I asked if he wanted to put the ring on me as I pulled him back inside. Then I said, "OK, now I'm going to put it back in the box so we can go swimming!"
Seriously, Jon, I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you! -- POSTED BY COLLEEN
No comments:
Post a Comment