Monday, December 28, 2009

December 28, 2009

All we were supposed to do today was go visit the florist.  The owner, Becky, was a few years ahead of me at ACS and her partner Dan was in my class at Arkport.  I had Mom pull up the basket of fake flowers from the basement that I had my parents buy at the Shoppingtown Mall in Syracuse while my brother Charlie was a student there (so some time between 2002 and 2005) *because* it looked like how I envisioned my wedding flowers looking: a mixture of purples, mostly dark purples, and yellow and white.  So we took that to Becky and ordered my bouquet and the boutonnieres for the guys and corsages for the moms and two centerpieces for the altar that we could then take to the reception.

She also carries menswear.  While we were looking at her catalogues of that, I asked Becky if she had any dress shop recommendations because my Dad's two sisters asked me on Christmas if I had my dress yet and I was like, "I just got engaged last week!"  But then I started reading and remembering other tales of how you have to have your dress 4-6 months ahead of time and we were already at 5 1/2!  She recommended a place a half hour away and recommended that we go that day (as I am flying back to Denver tomorrow), so we dropped Jon off at the house and picked up Dad and started driving.

We didn't call to make an appointment or even to see if they were open, but fortunately they were.  I thought I knew the process having seen "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC but unlike on that show, when they ask you what you like and what you don't want and then go bring some options to you matching that description, Kasey listened to what I had to say and then told me to go to the back and pick some out!  Pick something out?  Aren't you supposed to do that for me?  But that's what she asked so I reluctantly went to the back.

Instantly my eye went to the right.  It was the first dress I tried on and was quickly the front runner.  And six other dresses later, I said yes to that dress.

I also asked about veils and shoes; I couldn't believe that the veils started at $100 -- for a thin little piece of not even fabric.  And I didn't think any of the options there looked good on me so I moved on to the shoes.  They had a few display models and said if I wanted to buy shoes there, they could order them. Given my mismatched, crooked feet (my left foot is a size 9 and my right foot is a size 8) though, that didn't sound like it would be the best option, so the shoe search will have to wait for another day! -- POSTED BY COLLEEN

No comments:

Post a Comment