Soon, it was time for class to begin.
Our crew chief went by the nickname "Big Block". So, I would be part of Team Big Block along with the other 11 drivers in the Noon group. We got a pretty thorough explanation of what to expect and how the car would handle, then it was off for a "driver appearance" in victory lane. You gotta pose for a few photos, and smile for the fans on the other side of the fence.
After that, we went to our pit box and awaited word on when we would drive. I was 11th out of 12 in our group to go. It gave me a chance to calm any nerves and get pretty excited.
Team "Big Block" got my helmet for me and then shared some news, that this would be a big day for me. I might get my big break to drive for Hendrick.
Ok, so that was just for show, but I think the crew chief appreciated my enthusiasm. Soon, it was my turn to drive. My #9 car pulled up and I climbed in.
Another pit crew member got me buckled in, put the window net up and I was off.
Any fears that I might have forgotten how to drive a "stick" were quickly over. I zoomed from first to fourth gear by the time I entered the backstretch and from there it was go, go, go.
At first, all my focus was on just following the lead car in front of me and learning that the car stuck pretty well in the turns.
I could give it more gas in the turns than I'd expected and was able to get back on the throttle quickly. The car responded quickly to the gas pedal and the straightaways were like drag-strips. I felt our pace picking up. I admit, I felt like I had tunnel vision. I didn't realize there were mirrors in the car until later. But, who needs to look back, anyway? I would get to drive for eight laps. Each time, I got more confident. Although the faster I went, the more challenging the turns would become. A few times I took a slightly higher line in the turns than the lead car. I thought about pressing the brake, but avoided that temptation all but once. It paid off. The car stuck and my lap times got faster. Near the end of the ride, I began to wonder if I'd gotten more than the 8 laps promised. I was afraid this might go by quickly. But, in the end, it was 8 laps, and it lasted long.
Sadly, the checkered flag did wave and I slowly brought my red and yellow, 600 horsepower #9 to pit road. Climbing out of the car was a bit more challenging than getting in.
But, I made it. Over the roar of other race cars still idling on pit road, I heard Colleen yell my name and wave from pit road. There's nothing like a NASCAR wife!
After the last driver in our group finished up, we went to the garage area for a graduation ceremony. We all did it. Big Block was glad all the cars got back intact. I was anxious to see my speed report, but couldn't even guess how I had done. I was hoping I wasn't a slowpoke. I was glad to see my top speed reached 104 miles an hour. I got faster each lap, except for the last, when I did briefly tap the brake in turn one as I went in a bit hot. The last half of my laps, I reached top speeds of 100 or better. My average speed floated around 80 miles per hour for the entire experience.
For a cool down lap, Colleen and I test drove some new Fords in an infield road course. Our favorite was the Mustang Convertible.
I can't thank Colleen enough for the wonderful day and the Richard Petty Driving Experience for making us feel welcome, and giving us a great opportunity.
RPDE and NHMS: A+
Posted by Jon
No comments:
Post a Comment