Saturday, January 16, 2010

January 16, 2010

After the David's Bridal debacle, I decided to go back out shoe shopping with my Mom.  After telling my friend Dawn how I was discouraged by the trip, she suggested DSW Shoe Warehouse.  Because we went to a 1 p.m. movie with another friend we probably arrived at DSW Shoe Warehouse at around 3:30 p.m.

We found a lot of white, ivory and silver options but most were sky-high or didn't have straps to keep your foot from sliding around and some had the strap on the side, the purpose of which I am still unclear but they must be popular because we saw a lot of them.   We did find one that said it was ivory (which is the alleged color of my dress even though it looked white to us) but it had lots of sparkly things that we liked, but I wanted to shop around before totally committing, so we went to the adjacent Park Meadows Mall in Lone Tree.  We tried Macy's, Nordstrom, JCPenney's and some other stores but couldn't find anything fitting the bill.  We then left the mall in search of David's Bridal so I could show Mom those styles, hoping that I could just saunter my way in and beg off the whole setting-up an appointment thing. (Plus, being a different store, maybe they'd have better service.)

The place where I thought the David's Bridal was located turned out to house an Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse so we tried there.  It was now after 6 p.m. and we still hadn't found shoes.  At least a clerk at Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse directed us to the David's Bridal, which was back on the other side of the road -- the same side as DSW Shoe Warehouse and the mall.

When I got to the David's Bridal, I explained that I was just there to look at shoes and they waved me on to the back, so mission accomplished there.

I pulled out the Karin style that I had tried on earlier and also another comparable style.  Just like at the last (first?) David's Bridal, no matter what size I tried, my toes hung over the edge.
Here's the 8:
Here's the 7 1/2:
 We had the same toe problem with the other style I tried on:
A woman came up to us and suggested insert type things to keep the shoes from sliding.  Still, I decided to go back to the one at DSW Shoe Warehouse that we know worked so putting the shoes aside,  I decided to show Mom the veil that I had put as my top choice.  I decided I like the two-tiered veils so it could be flipped back during the ceremony and a "fingertip" length.  (The "blusher" was too short and the "elbow" too long.)

While we were over there, another woman came up to us and said that the two-tiered veils are supposed to be two tiers on the back of your head, and you're supposed to put the blusher veil in front of your face.  Then she said that if you wanted to have a *real* traditional wedding, you should actually have another, floor-length veil, that was to be your "wrapping paper," because back in the day the brides were considered "presents."  She also said that whoever *flips* your veil, gets to keep it ... as a present!  (Still need to google all this, by the way -- I still think this is just a ploy to get you to not stop your veil buying at the $20 blusher veil.)

Not wanting to buy any "presents" just yet, we went back to DSW Shoe Warehouse.  This time, I thought to take a picture with my cell phone camera.
Here's the 8 1/2.  (Note: no toe hanging over issues!)
But after I tried them on, I discovered another issue: I came up to above Mom's head!  Knowing Mom and Jon were about the same height, I decided not to buy them.  So 5 hours in, the shoe-buying would have to be on hold for another day.  -- POSTED BY COLLEEN

No comments:

Post a Comment