Today was a travel day. We left our hotel in Kill Devil Hills. The smell of smoke and sight of a hazy sky greeted us. It was the second consecutive trip to the Outer Banks where smoke and haze wafted over my beloved OBX as a result of inland wildfires. Luckily the worst of this smoke held off until today, so we had a great time here. It's always sad for me to leave the OBX. But as you'll see in the July 4 posts and beyond, there was fantastic fun to be had soon.
We flew from Newport News bound for Charlotte, but had to go through Atlanta. This made for a long day. It was tough to look down and see Charlotte Motor Speedway around 11:30 a.m. and realize we wouldn't be on the ground there until around 5:30 p.m. But, I found comfort in AirTran's XM radio connection. I was able to listen during both legs of the trip to the closing arguments in the Casey Anthony trial. Yes, they lasted all day. Yes, this is a Sunday on a holiday weekend.
It's the first time I paid attention to the case and the first time I thought, hey, the defense might have a case here. A few days later, we would learn I was onto something.
Colleen and I killed time in Atlanta by walking to another terminal and enjoying a sit-down lunch at Miller Lite Victory Lane. After touching down finally in Charlotte, we got a FREE UPGRADE!!!! at Hertz from an Aveo to a Corolla! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I enjoyed driving the new model Corolla. It's a lot like my car, with a few minor upgrades. We hit the road bound for Winston-Salem. It was a great ride with sunny skies and smooth sailing. It was fun to see all the billboards for restaurants and NASCAR-related things.
We checked into our hotel and were surprised to see and hear what appeared to be an ethnic wedding going on in one of the conference rooms. Colleen thinks it was a church service. Think new age revival. After checking in, we visited with Colleen's friends Jim and Susi. They were so happy to see us and it was great meeting them. We went to see CARS 2 at the new movie theater near Colleen's old apartment. The movie was great, but very different than the first CARS movie. After the movie, a drive through the old neighborhood was in order. Unfortunately, we couldn't find Danny, who used to be an institution at the old apartment complex. We capped off the night with milkshakes at Cookout. It's a NC based chain that's very popular. There were five or six cars in each drive-thru lane when we arrived at 10:45pm. Colleen said these were the shakes to die for. I had a caramel cheesecake. It was as thick and flavorful as Colleen advertised, and HUGE! It was worth the wait.
-POSTED BY JON
AirTtran flight routes: C-
Casey Anthony's lawyer: A+
Anthony prosecution: F
Driving in NC: A+
CARS 2: A
Cookout: B
No comments:
Post a Comment